Friday, March 16, 2012

Things I Don't Miss About Facebook

I'm less than a month away from when I can return to Facebook after my lent fast. I'm definitely not counting down the days. In fact, I have found that Facebook has been replaced with much more rewarding activities. Not just knitting, but I've been reading more, and just taking time to stop and smell the flowers (not that I can grow flowers, but metaphorical flowers). I have a better appreciation for real people and my relationship with them. After some reflection, I've realized that there is so much I DON'T miss about Facebook, that it has me wondering if I will bother signing on again after Lent is over. Here's a few of the things that occurred to me:

1. People who are so opinionated and so driven to be offensive. Not a Christian? That's okay with me. But I am. So don't waste your time trying to convince me that what I have based my entire life on isn't real. There is absolutely no reason to debate the issue. I believe with all of my being in God and the Bible is my instruction manual for life. If you don't like that, it's okay. It really is. I'm not going to force you to read it. I won't force you to listen to contemporary Christian music. (If you are riding somewhere in my car you might have to, but that's just a chance you'll have to take I guess). I don't make fun of your beliefs, so you don't need to make fun of mine. A good friend put it best yesterday when she said "Christians are tolerant of the world. The world is not tolerant of Christians." My joy is found through Christ, and if that's not what brings joy to your life, then I can accept that. But it's my joy so let it be.

2. People who over share in their status updates. Now I'm not talking about people who say they have a cold or a sinus infection. That's one thing. If you are throwing up, I do not need to know what it looks like, what it smelled like, where you unleashed it, or if anything is coming out of any other orifice. I'm really sorry you're sick. I feel for you. Having the flu/food poisoning/whatever you have is awful, but maybe if you're that sick you should get off Facebook and take yourself to the doctor. Or call your mom. She will probably care.

3. People who "call people out" in their updates while using vulgar language. Yes, we all have our moments where people tick us off, but does it get any more passive/aggressive than that? If someone is really worth the energy it takes to be so angry, shouldn't you say it to them directly? And by all means, if you are having feelings that intense and you want to use a forum like Facebook to air your grievance or dirty laundry, that's your decision.....but why is vulgarity so acceptable? Why can't people use language that doesn't make me want to run to my mother's house and plug her ears.

4. People who post pictures of their kids potty training progress. Do I really need to say much more than that?

5. Self portraits of people in the bathroom. I've seen people go so far as to post pictures of themselves on the toilet. Have we really become that ridiculous?

6. Random people you don't know wanting to be your "friend". Who the heck are you? That's right. Ignore.

7.  Post this (insert random heart filled message) to prove that you love Jesus. I love Jesus. I love God. He knows that. I praise him and worship him daily. I don't think that God is going to look down and say "she didn't re post the hearts on that update. She is no longer my child." Just don't.

I'm pretty sure that's it! So the rules of my house could carry over to Facebook and I think it would be a much less stressful and dramatic experience (even though it might not be quite as entertaining) for everyone. Here are my rules:
1. Be nice
2. If you can't be nice, then leave.
3. Have a nice day, Sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment